Benefits of therapeutic horseback riding
Hannah's Horseshoes of Hope
Reminder - Last day of Spring Session will be May 25th
The benefits of therapeutic horseback riding can be seen at Hannah’s Horseshoes of Hope. We are an equine(horse)-assisted therapy center for
children and adults with physical, cognitive and emotional disabilities, serving the Red River/Texoma Region of North Texas and South-Eastern Oklahoma.
We have had numerous students over the years, all ages 3 to 65+ years old,
from all walks of life, and many different issues or disabilities. Our certified
instructors challenge each student to learn something new every time they come,
whether it is learning to brush and saddle their horse or practicing posting to
build balance and strength.
There are many benefits of therapeutic horseback riding for those with and
without special needs. Many beyond just the physical benefits; riders improve
their self-esteem, focus and independence while interacting with trained
volunteers, professional certified instructors and other riders.
The entire experience is encouraged, including horse care; brushing,
saddling or unsaddling the horse can contribute to the building of a strong
relationship between horse and rider. Social interaction can be improved, even
with non-verbal students thru interaction with the horses, certified
instructors, volunteers and other clients.
The 4 main areas that can be influenced by therapeutic riding
— The rhythm of the horse moves the body in a way similar to the human
gait, thereby improving gross and fine motor skills, balance, muscle
control, posture, flexibility, and coordination. Riding can also
provide cardiovascular benefits by raising the rider's heart rate.
—Time in the saddle can increase the student's concentration, help the
rider to articulate emotions, and can develop a student's sense of
— Equitherapy provides an opportunity for each student to bond with the
horse, instructors, and volunteers, establishing trust. This can be
effective in calming emotive outbursts and reinforcing appropriate
behavior. By establishing a noncompetitive setting in which to learn
something new, client self-confidence is often greatly improved.
— Disabled riders can begin to experience independence, often for the
first time in their lives. They become part of a team, developing
skills in a recognized sport, and the resulting self-esteem and pride of
accomplishment are things they can take back into their own worlds.
For more details on all the benefits of therapeutic horseback riding
HHH offers a variety of programs including private and group lessons, camps
and even customized sessions for specific organizations and groups.
Founded in 2002 by Janice and Clayton Mills, Hannah’s is named for their
granddaughter, Hannah Sue - daughter of Steve and Jolene Mills - who was
born with Down Syndrome.
- Class schedule for HHH
- HHH's Class schedule, will be updated with any changes. Please check back often and contact us with any questions
- Angels on Horseback - NEWS
- We consider our riders to be Angels on Horseback and this is where you can find out the News at HHH
- Trends in Physical Therapy - Become a Student at HHH
- Trends in physical therapy are showing that there are great benefits to be found in therapeutic riding.
- Non profit donations to HHH
- Non profit donations to HHH. We need your support, we operate strictly off of donation support.
- Local Volunteer Work
- Looking to find local volunteer work? While there are many volunteers organizations, how many of them give you horse jobs or the opportunity to work with special needs?
- Need Donation - Help us reach 1,000 Donors
- Need Donation - Help us reach 1,000 Donors, we have just started this drive and are on our way.
- Benefits of Therapeutic Horseback Riding
- Benefits of therapeutic horseback riding for many issues and disablities explained in detail.
- Our charity child sponsor list
- Many have become a charity child sponsor, by supporting HHH over the years. You have made all the difference, we would not be here without you.
- Therapeutic Riding Centers - Staff
- Therapeutic Riding Centers - Staff of Hannah's Horseshoes of Hope is comprised of mostly volunteers.
- Contact Us
- Contact us - Hannah's Horseshoes of Hope
- HHH's Horse Jobs
- All of the horses at HHH have very important horse jobs, helping us reach those with special needs.